Sunday, July 5, 2009

5 days in the thin air

Sunday evening, 8:00PM. It appears that I can only send 4 photos per blog, so I will have more photos tomorrow when I am resting. The mountain scenery is magnificant. those are glaciers that you see in the first photo, and new snow noted on the second. As we hike up these areas, it is incredible how many animals and how over-grazed the area is. Generations have been coming to these pastures, and what Titus and his team are noticing is that fewer and fewer of these people are coming as the children and young men look for better ways -- something other than the 'old' ways. We have discussed making this a business for the men, and next week we will be schooling them on Economics 101 concerning actual costs of meds, transportation, etc. It is easy to 'give' English medicine (their term) away, but this makes the Gujjar look for handouts, instead of expecting to pay. There is no liscense needed in this part of the world, just the ability to generate confidence in your ability. Since there is such a tight family connection, this could lead to something good for the four men we are currently working with. Although none of these four are Christian, they know that I am, and

have not yet reported anyone to the authorities. Currently, in Kashmir, we would be asked to leave if the thought was that we were there to evangelize. I did meet several men on the mountain who are believers, and I will post their photos in subsequent entries. Brian, Cindy & Grace -- the children seem to have lots to play with. They are often dirty, but smiling and not terribly shy. They play with sticks, and old bottles, and I have seen wire fashioned into a steering wheel, attached to a longer shaft like the steering column, with a can at the bottom for them to push along -- very inventive. I am also happy to report that my 1st patient that was put on IV fluids has recovered and is nearly ready for resuming his work activities.!! I would be in jail in the US for the services that I proveded!!

I have done far more horse work than I had imagined. A common complaint is that the horse is 'weak', when actually he is malnourished and heavily parasitized. Saddle sores are the next most common complaint. Paige, I know it is sad, but they don't think they are doing something wrong -- instead they believe it is the animals fault that his back is sore! I have heard time and again that this happens every year! I have seen some of the


saddle blankets that have an area cut out over the point of the withers, where even with heavy riders and heavy loads, there is no friction. Titus and I have discussed having some of the men's wives build these during the winter to sell during the tourist season as another source of family income. Many of the horses also have a sharp spine, as a result of breeding. Add this to no body fat and the situation is ripe for bruising. There is lots of infection surrounding these sore areas and some of these horses are little buggers. I helped the boys build the first rope twitch that they have ever seen, and I couldn't get Ajas to lay his down. I think he was taking it to bed with him at night!! The next most common problem is front leg injuries where these wicked little shoes/nails strike the front legs on the inside and gash them open. The Gujjar all want a 'shot' of Penicillin (they pronounce it Peni-cil-ean) of Terramycin ointment (pronounced Terra-my-seen). Weak horses are often given only Calcium under the skin? (I have never given Calcium to a horse.) These just need forage and a good dewormer!

The food has been pretty spicey, and no matter where you go, you are invited in for 'Chi' and often flour bread, called 'chopate' (I think that is how it is spelled). It has been raining in the valleys -- stop and go showers with the temperature plunging each time it rains. I have always slept warm, but sometimes it is really cold when I get up at night to go admire the stars (for that night-time pressure relief, Brummy). It was cold when we got back to the office last evening, but it is going to warm up again this week. I will go on to bed now, and post again tomorrow. I spoke to Nancy Lee on Skype this evening, and I hope that Hammy is feeling better. Rice and beans for supper this PM. Everything has red chili in it and is spicey -- I am ready for some beef! More tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. WOW that mountain is gorgeous. You have so much to offer these people, what an experience for you and them. Bless you for using the skills and knowlegdge bestowed upon you to better an unfortunate part of the world. MOO! Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure was good to see a blogg from you today. We where getting a little worried.I was glad to see you riding a bit as the Mountians look huge.Thanks for the picture with your hat. Stay safe and we look foreward to your return. Tons of questions.
    Becky Doug and Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered about blankets. Sounds like they are being used on some horses? Your post was a bit unclear. Seems like a somewhat simple solution for them.

    Wow, here an owner of that horse would surely be convicted.

    Magnificent pix! Keep up the good work, doc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Bruce,

    Sure is good to hear from you. Grace and I just read over your last few posts.

    You are doing way more for those people than you can imagine. You will leave with much unfinished work, but a part of you and your work will stay there and will be still in place generations from now. We are very proud of you.

    Brian, Cindy, and Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Doc,
    So good to hear from you. The mountains are absolutely georgeous. I am so grateful you are able to blog and send pics. I didn't realize you don't care for spicy food. Guess I should have warned you. haha. I hope you have the opportunity to drink some of their hot tea. They put some type of milk in it and it is WONDERFUL. I am sorry to hear about your headach. I pray for you daily. I'll be sure to pray specifically against the headachs.
    Keep up the good work my friend. The Lord is doing amazing things in and through you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uncle Bruce,
    Good to hear from you again. We were all anxiously waiting on a new post. I know Uncle Kenneth was, too. Grandma thinks Uncle Thomas is in constant contact with you, from a conversation I overheard:) Your pictures are great - Keep them coming. You are very good story teller, too. Dad is doing good - Goes in Wed. to have his stint removed. He is still sore & tired, but getting around. Not back on the road quite yet:)
    Thoughts and prayers are with you! Lova Ya!
    Corri (Josh, Caleb & Cameran, too)

    ReplyDelete