Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday, the 29th. Titus and I went shopping today for more veterinary supplies. Many of these were purchased at the veterinary supply center, many were bought at the local pharmacy. Downtown is a mess, with helter-skelter traffic, horns blowing, dirt, garbage and LOTS of people. Clearly, I prefer the country and the mountains. We are preparing for a longer mountain trip this time. the quanset hut at left is our base camp at 11,000'. It is VERY comfortable and the toilet is behind the big rock in the background. (: This is where we will spend tomorrow night, then we will move on up to the higher pastures that don't usually get any Westerners, at 15,000' - 15,500'. This will be a 2 1/2 - 3 hour hike up and I am sure my lungs will burn, but I am already glad that I have been preparing. I am not the strongest hiker in the group, but the men seem to think that Dr. Bruce Sahib is OK in the mountains.
Did I say that the children were beautiful? I don't know if the blog will allow you to blow up this photo, but this is one of the most beautiful children that I have ever seen (besides my own, of course!). The man in the background was so pleased that a short, fat, white man from US would hike to his campsite. We talked for an hour of how we were honoring him, just by being there. There is a huge pilgrimage taking place in this area, where Hindu men and women (Yatri) are travelling to a sacred cave at around 14,800' near this area. (The Amaranth Cave -- this is where, according to Hindu legend, that life originated). Every day, this man takes his horses and goes to earn money by horse-back riding these pilgrims to the cave. Some say it is cheating, and that you should walk, but that is not a discussion for me to be a part of. The point is, this man and his family have a 5-6 week window to make money from the tourists, and they need healthy animals to do this. We have encountered a small number of Christian men in the area, and they are very discreet about their faith. They could be ousted from their camp or even worse, killed by some of the more militant Muslims that might be in the area. Please note the bridge we had to cross in order to get to his camp. I think it was one lane, no passing!! The water is glacier melt which is very cold and running fast and deep. CVC vet's please note the yellow 'vet' box that I built from scratch. We also carry buckets with basic supplies. Would someone call Becky Mcglothlin at Virginia Blood Services and tell her my hat made it to the mountain!!? LBW, I am going to wear my Virginia Wildlife one next, look for it!
This is one of the typical 'summer homes' of the Gujjar. Note the brush piled around the tents. This is to ward off bears and other hungry critters at night. The fire is just inside the opening, and there could be as many a 8-10 people sleeping in this shelter. We will be camping at or near similar shelters for the next several nights, and I hope to bring you some great photos. Please don't be alarmed if I don't check in for 3-5 days, I am not sure yet. I cherish your comments and your prayers. To my brothers Thomas and Kenneth, I thank you for your notes of encouragement. Us old farm boys are pretty handy with practical stuff, and these people have benefitted from their first glance at duct tape. It's magic the way it sticks and it makes a heck of a bandage for a foot!! I really don't miss a thing at home (except for you NLB), and I lack for nothing. (I take that back, a hot shower would be nice....., I am bathing in a bucket, but that is better than many nights on the ATC!) The next few days should be SWEET!! Andiamo!!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update and pictures. There are so many questions that arise out of your notes and pictures. I should write them down so I don't forget all of them. The opportunity for learning is immense! So glad you can talk to the Christian family. It must be so difficult to not have religious freedom...or of the threat of harm for your beliefs. I am sure you being there is a special privilege for these Christians and seen as a real blessing from God. Children are surely the universal tie for all of us! And they are our hope for a better world too. Can't wait to hear about your hike up to 15,000 feet...and we thought 7,000-8,000 was fantastic on the PTC!!! I'll call AMC and give Becky your blog site so she can see the hat. Hope you have a VT sign of some kind to take a picture of for the VT magazine. Be careful going up/down that mountain. NLB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce: Just checking after review of you last postings. Thoughts are with you. What a experience. Look to hear more. Sleep with one eye open. Although I know your snoring will keep away most wild beasts. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have the martinis ready when you get home-
    I'll bet you'll be ready for one!

    Mixon

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your tool boxes! What do you mean you built it from scratch???? :)

    The pictures really are so great in making us feel like we are along for the ride. I'm guessing that it's Titus who is taking the ones with you in them? I did not offer you that advice but it's good that you are doing that. We want to see the scenery, but we want to see you and the work you are doing MORE.

    Very cool that you are in a picture with a woman with the goat. Is she the wife of the Christian man? Otherwise, I think it's fairly uncommon for a woman to interact with a stranger.

    One thing I have ALWAYS been amazed at no matter where I go: Children are beautiful. Period. We can only see part of the face of the child you mentioned - but it's easy to tell she is gorgeous.

    You can come home now. You have left your mark. You have introduced the Gujjar to Duct Tape. Your work is done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncle Bruce, we are enjoying following your journey. Grace looks forward every evening looking at your pictures and hearing your stories (Cindy too, of course). The pictures blow up nicely. She wonders how the little girls you've encountered live and play. What if any toys they have. It makes us realize how fortunate we are.

    We'll miss the next few evenings of news if you're away on the mountains. Take care and God Bless.

    Brian, Cindy and Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how they created the metal hut-must have been flown in like those on the caribou hunt. Love the pictures-later bro-k

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Bruce,
    Maggie brought her computer up and read us your letters and showed us the pictures. Sam could see some of them. He said they stayed in quanset huts like that during the war. We can't wait to talk to you. Geraldine says she has plenty of candy waiting for you when you get back. We are thinking about you.
    Love,
    Sam and Geraldine Shifflett

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bruce- I am enjoying your postings and the beautiful pictures. I can't wait to see your photos and hear more of your stories in person. We are thinking of you and anxiously await your next blog. Karee and family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Bruce,
    I want to tell you that I love you and I am praying for you. Please get back home quick. I don't like for you to be so far away. Be sure and take care.
    Love,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dad,
    In case you were confused, I posted for Grandma/Grande Shifflett and Grandma Bowman. I went up there today and read them your blogs and showed them the pictures. I wrote down what they wanted to say to you. Grandma Shifflett still thinks I got your blogs in letters in the mail. Miss you lots! Come home soon so we can play catch!

    ReplyDelete