Thursday, June 25, 2009

First day

So I got here after missing my flight from London to Delhi. That meant that my chaperone in Delhi did't know where I was. When I got to Delhi, I was on my own, but I made it to the other airport and caught my original flight out to Srinager. ALL my luggage arrived with me, my host was waiting and so were hundreds of police and soldiers. Apparently there is some militant unreast here, but no one has put off a grenade for a couple of weeks!! Went with my host, Titus Gall, to pick up meds in a place that was WAAAYYY back in the village. Another story .. ..Slept well, went to see my first patient this morning, who is a young man with a high fever (doctor's are hard to find) and I started an IV that we just went down and bought OTC!! More on that later. I spent the day going over the medicines with 4 Gujjar (pronounced Goo Jar) men who will be going with us tomorrow for work with the nomads. Road trip overnight! There is a 'strike' scheduled for tomorrow, so we will be leaving at 5:00AM. I will try to get a proper blog in when I get back. All is well. Oh by the way Nan, I left my clean underwear in the paino room .. .. ):

11 comments:

  1. Wow! Strikes and grenades sure sound familiar.....

    :)

    No clean undies! Yikes! I'm sure you'll find a way to improvise. And I'm glad that you are being used so early on. Expect the unexpected.

    I sure hope you are keeping a notebook of all you do/see/encounter when you are not with your computer. It'll all be a blur.

    Good to hear from you, though. Can't wait to hear the full report of your first patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwee! Should have known your trip would not be a normal one. But no clean undies!, they do have water though, I hope. Interesting the different culture you have already encountered and it has only been one day. Will be anxious to hear about your 'human' patient. Hope all is well. By the way, that scenary is beautiful. Guess I never though of india as being that green.
    Sure is quiet here without you, but we are all waiting for the next blog. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think you signed up for unrest, grenades and strikes. Tell Titus that I recall him saying if you got out of the airport safely, you would not be in danger! Maybe you can be discreet although that is hard for a short white boy (your words not mine) in India. I have not checked the piano room for left behind items! Maybe those can be rinsed before I pick you up at the airport (smile). Nan Love Bruce (NLB)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Doc B...praise Jesus for your "safe" arrival. I'v been on the job for less than two weeks and I miss your singing! I don't know you well enough to discuss your underwear so good luck with that! I find this all quite intriguing, can't wait to hear more. May God bless and keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like your hunting expertise will come in handy little brother-have a big time-ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! Undies in the piano room!

    Im glad you made it in - its great that your luggage is with you. Keep us updated.

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you arrived safely and that all your things arrived with you--except, the underwear, of course! You know what I say about that "DA!"
    Love ya!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you arrived safely and that your thing arrived with you, except for the underwear, of course. You know what I say to that: "DA!!"
    Love ya!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to hear that you are there and in one piece. Must feel great to have a patient who can talk back! :) We will keep you in our prayers. Take care,
    Clay and Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you made it safely. Sean, kids, and I will continue to look forward to reading your blog. Declan will think it is cool that you don't have any underwear... he loves going commando!!!! Karee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really glad that you arrived safely! I didn't really understand the concern of all of your other followers about having to leave all of your clothes behind for your return trip home. I knew that you would never show up at the airport in your birthday suit! I knew that you would at least have on your CLEAN UNDERWEAR and your favorite HIKING BOOTS! As I have seen this wardrobe choice from time to time as you change clothes behind your truck door in the PARKING LOT! LOL But now that I know you don't have any clean undies, I too am concerned. ;) LOL

    Have fun, be safe, learn as much as you teach and keep the stories coming!
    Love ya.....mean it! Come see me!

    ReplyDelete