Saturday, June 27, 2009

Contact with the Gujjar


We got back this PM from an overnight stay in Sonamag. The camp was at 10,000' and we hiked up to 11,800' to one camp. Lots of sheep/goats, but more horses than I expected. Horses have many things in common; saddle sores/abscesses due to ill fitting saddles and no understanding of how to treat a sore, weak animals ( malnutrition -- over half of these animals are a body score 3 +/- the owner would likely go to jail in the US), or sore feet. Many of them are shod, but one size shoe fits all, and little, if any trimming takes place prior to having the shoe placed. On day 1, I treated 2 goats and one sheep for bear bites!! I also treated one old man's hand for a laceration, he said when he slapped the bear!! I have seen broken legs, a broken jaw due to a rock slide, and treated a horrible case of conjunctivitis in a sheep. Keep in mind these people have these animals to make a living, and little else. Some of the camps were unbelievable -- others were where Brummy and I would pitch a tent! The people are marvelous. It isn't long after you start that children are standing all around you -- and these people like to press in, touch you and shake your hand. This has been a great two days. The simple things that I have done have meant so much to them. They are calling me Dr. Bruce Sahib, meaning Bruce, great doctor. Pretty cool. God is everywhere around this team, bringing these people to us because of their reputation. (We are also going to contact as many different camps as possible. Oddly enough, some of these people have cell phones!) There is Titus, the team leader, and 4 native Gujjar men that I am training to carry on once I leave. 1 is especially eager, 2 are willing, and 1 would rather help, but my job is to change his mind from helping to doing. I have had butter tea (made with sheep milk and butter, plus black tea) and had the local fare for supper which was rice (they eat LOTS of rice) and lamb parts -- don't ask me which part. Surprisingly, lunch was just like dinner. The food must be agreeing with me, because so far, no upset stomach, etc. Pretty spicey with lots of chilli powder, onions, and yogurt at every meal. There is no mention of religion at this point, just a sense of satisfaction from helping, teaching, and mentoring. The mountain scenery is killer. Glaciers are easily seen from base camp, we cross snow rivers to get to some camps, and towering peaks reach 17,000 - 19,000 feet all around. This is just what I thought it would be. Off tomorrow to maybe shop a little, regroup, refresh supplies (almost everything I need is available across the counter in any little pharmacy shop in the bazaar), and prepare to go back to the mountain on Monday morning. I will get more published tomorrow during some down time. Thanks to all for supporting me. This is going to be one humongeous chapter in my life. I can't wait to start telling you more about it, but I am in no hurry to leave, even if these people do NOT believe in toilet paper (sorry, but I brought my own)!! More on that later too. 'Tika' (means goodbye).
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. seems like a good thing you are in shape???-watch out which hand you shake(hehe)later bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Buddy,
    Glad to hear that you've arrived safe and sound. Sounds like a hell of a fine adventure, wish I was along!
    Don't know what all the bother was about clean underwear, it never seems to make any difference at deercamp! And as for all the commotion in Delhi, probably reminded you a lot of a good "mothersday" or two we've had over the years, huh!
    Looking forward to more hearing more details on our next trip to the Yukon!
    Take good care buddy, I miss you. JAOC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures. The work and impact you are accomplishing there is awesome. Cindy and I are wondering what if any medical background your Gujjar men have. Take care.
    Love you, Brian, Cindy and Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What beautiful pictures. I know you are very excited about the spicey food. :)


    Take Care & Stay Safe
    'Tika'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Those pictures are amazing.....

    Did you bring anything that you can trim the horse hooves with?? Any tools available to teach them how?

    Personal space does not exist in that culture - it's just normal to be up close and touching. Take some pictures of the children and then show them the pictures using the playback on your camera - they will love seeing themselves. I bet you could even get them to sing and record it. :)

    Glad to hear the food is setting well with you. No fair that you brought your own TP - that's cheating. ;)

    Great post. It's so fun to be along for the ride....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you made it safe and sound, the pictures are great and I am so excited for you. It must be beautiful there. We all miss you and everybody that comes in asks for an update, I'm gonna have to do a news letter every other day. hehehe. You have so many devoted friends and followers. Send us more pictures and teach the Gujjar how to take care of those horses hooves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible! We have so much to be thankful for in our lives. Have no idea how it feels to be in a land with people who have such needs just to make a meager living and want to do so much in such a short time. Makes the teaching of these four men so very important. We are spreading the news of the blog...lots of people are following Dr. Bruce Sahib! You continue to lifted up in lots and lots of pray. NLB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cleanliness is next to Godliness, dear friend.
    Wash, wash, wash and laundry every night? ;-)
    Stay safe, Jim and Carlene,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!Brother-in-law, you are a great writer--a talent I didn't know you had. My sense is that this won't be your last mission trip. God is using you in a very special way. Looking forward to more installments.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sad for the horses...! Hopefully you are able to teach better care? God bless you on this journey! Jason and I just learned of it so I am still catching up with your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete